Wednesday, January 10, 2007

I suppose theres not much happening around New Messico for me today. Woke up sore from the hard workout i did after my doctors appointment yesterday. I decided to hit the Base Gym for the first time yesterday and must say i was quite impressed. The place had two cardio rooms, two weight rooms, two basketball courts, a pool, a sauna, and some huge, very masculine stinky locker rooms. I have never felt so scrawny in my life as i did in the "military" gym. I started out pretty light to get warmed up and was just doing the dumbell press with a 45 in each hand. i thought i was doing pretty well until some huge marine starting pressing 270, which means he was doing a full 40 pounds more than i was doing in a single hand. When i had had enough of that humiliation I went into the other weight room to work the legs a bit. I figured i could make up for my weakness in this aspect so i went to the leg press machine and put on 400. Now realize that putting 4 100 pound weights on a bar 3 feet above the ground is hard for the average cyclist. By the time i had managed to clank all 4 weights up there everyone in the place was already confused as to why i was having such a hard time. I did 4 sets of 5 reps and was going to take my weight off when a Navy guy (judging from his t-shirt) said "hold up, just leave those on there". He then proceeded to put 2 more 100s on each side and then do 4 sets of something like 12 reps. Shouldnt all these guys be defending our country instead of showing skinny guys up in the gym?

I'll hit the gym again tomorrow after work, and then again on Saturday. The plan is to get up 175 by the end of the week. I'll let you know how it goes. I really just want to be able to press more than those guys can in one hand.

2 comments:

ojulius said...

I've been to that base gym and checked it out. They do have a nice set up...I even have a punch card to go there, but I agree, being around all the military guys is a little intimidating. It's easier going to Defined and being surrounded by out of shape doofuses. :)

Anonymous said...

You're trying to gain weight? You are still a cyclist, right? :-)

If you want to try some XC races early this year, Arizona's MBAA series is starting in three Saturday...