Monday, April 02, 2007

Wow, so yeah its been a super long time since i updated. Anyway the last post was obviously senior prom, i look like a dork in a tux, but my girl looked beautiful as always. I look sorta toasted in some of the pics because i had the SYDC that morning. Talk about a killer ride. Took me 7 and a half hours to ride the 82 miles all on a mountainbike. Thats a long ride. I must admit that after the ride i was super mad and was like all pissed at matt (for no good reason i might add) because he said it was 70 miles and it ended up being 82. Once i got some food in my i thought back on it and was like "wow, that was a killer ride, i can't believe i just did that, im glad Matt did that". So matt, since i know you will read this, there was like a half hour period there where i really really hated you, and then, i really liked you all over again. Anyway it was an interesting experience for me. its amazing what your body does when you deplete it to that extent. I have always been fit, but thats a different kind of fit. For the first 2 hours i felt great, the third wasnt bad and the fourth was absolutely brutal. Then, something that never has happened before, my pain receptors actually turned off. No pain, no thoughts, i pinched myself and couldn't even feel it. i must say that is slightly scary feeling, but enjoyable. Then, an hour later they turned back on and thats when i got ugly. I hallucinated a couple times, saw a black ford explorer right in front of me. problem was, the other two guys said it wasnt there. i swear i ould have reached out and touched it. I saw a wild horse, but then when i got near it it was a rabit, seriously seriously crazy stuff going on in my brain. When i got to the last stretch of pavement all my pain went away and i felt like i could ride another 80 miles. Its really amazing what your body can do to itself. i have a whole new respect for guys like tinker and matt.

Thats it.

2 comments:

Matt said...

Congrats Bill - and now you can do the 125-miler next year! Actually pencil the Pines to Mines ride next fall in Flagstaff. It's another big one and I'll try to talk Travis into it as well since you both will be there.

But comparing me to Tinker is crazy - I just wear his shoes and have his carbon handlebar seriously...he had a garage sale! :-) He's a whole nutha kinda animal.

Not sure if you knew - we saw a mountain lion cruise right in front of us on the way out there....then 2 antelope run along side us. Surreal. We intruded in breakfast time.

ojulius said...

Bill--welcome to endurance riding! Once you start, you're hooked!! :) Way to go though, finishing 82 miles and still having the energy to make it to prom.